At Loop Weather Services, your privacy is considered through everything we do from the start, not as an afterthought. In every product or service we develop, we strive to collect the least possible amount of user information and retain it for the shortest reasonable time. Our business model is based on selling access to our products, not our users’ data, because weather is our business and what you do is yours.
This page details our approach to privacy to tell you what data we collect, how long we keep it, and what we do with it for each of our services.
The information below is collected for users of all Loop Weather Services products, services, and websites.
- Access logs: Our servers collect access logs containing the IP address, URL visited, and time of access for each network request made to each server. We do not regularly monitor these logs, but we retain them for up to 30 days in order to protect our business from unauthorized use of our properties. This information is not directly identifiable but may be selectively retained longer and/or referred to outside entities for investigation and potential prosecution in the event of unauthorized use of our properties.
All Loop Weather Services products, services, and websites are served over HTTPS only, meaning that all data is encrypted in transit.
Loop Weather for Apple platforms
In addition to the information collected for all services, the information below may be collected from users of Loop Weather for Apple platforms, versions 1.2 and later.
- Location: Loop Weather may store your Home location, which may be either your device’s location or a single city depending on your settings. Your exact location is never transmitted to our servers; the app rounds coordinates to the nearest one-hundredth of one degree before transmission. This location is only used for retrieving weather information and never tracked over time — only your last used Home location is stored in your account, only if notifications are enabled. If notifications are disabled, no location data is stored except in cached weather data files (anonymously) for up to 15 minutes. Location data may be shared anonymously with our weather data provider(s) from our servers for each request, solely to obtain weather data for a given location. Location data does not appear in our server access logs.
- Device notification token: If notifications are enabled, Loop Weather may send our servers an anonymous device token which is used to send notifications to your device. This token may change from time to time, and it may be deleted by disabling notifications in Loop Weather Settings.
- Device analytics: Loop Weather may send some basic device analytics (OS version and device model) so that we can optimize our development efforts. None of this information may be used to identify you.
- Apple analytics: Apple collects some basic analytics data regarding your usage of the app based on your device settings. This data is anonymous and not actively monitored, and its collection can be disabled in the Privacy section of the Settings app.
Special cases and other notes
- Legal process: We do not maintain any identifiable information at this time which can be provided to law enforcement or other government entities upon the receipt of valid legal process. However, should such a request arise for identifiable information regarding one or more users, we will review the request carefully and provide the narrowest possible set of information which fulfills the request.
- Acquisition: Loop Weather Services is not for sale, but in the event that this company is acquired, we may transfer your data to the acquiring company depending on the terms of the acquisition. We will never sell user data or access to user data separate from the company.
- Cloudflare: We use Cloudflare on all of our public-facing services, and Cloudflare stores a cookie which contains an anonymous, dynamic user ID. This ID is used by Cloudflare to discern individual users behind shared IP addresses (such as on a public Wi-Fi network) for security purposes, and we do not see it or use it. The cookie and ID are not used by Cloudflare for tracking purposes, but rather only to protect our services from unauthorized usage while minimizing disruption to authorized users. More information is available here.